Kevin is the guitarist and composer of instrumental rock band Pyramids on Mars™. His music is hard rock, industrial, and metal infused with lead guitar melodies inspired by violin melodies of Baroque classical composers Bach & Vivaldi.
This is a string-skipping chord sequence in the style of Paul Gilbert. The focus of this exercise is to listen to the use of Dominant 7th chords that set up for the transition to the landing chord.
Most other guitar players would use a diminished arpeggio in the transition to another chord. We are using the more traditional method in Baroque classical music using Dominant7ths to transition. – Kevin Estrella Lesson can be viewed here.
His lessons feature classical style lead techniques with Neo-Classical influences.
Kevin loves Yngwie Malmsteen. He wanted to learn to think like Malmsteen. This meant listening to his influences. Kevin discovered Bach, Vivaldi, and Paganini. Kevin’s goal was to make his guitar sound more like a violin, or harpsichord.
He developed a new style and approach to the instrument.
- Violin Melodic Phrasing
- Pedal Tones
- Diatonic Extensions
- Symmetrical Scales (Harmonic Minor, Phrygian, Japanese)
- Dom 7th and Major 7th arpeggios used by Jason Becker
- Sweep Picking
- String Skipping Arpeggios
- Alternate Picking, Legato (In the Style of Joe Satriani)
- Neo-Classical and Classical Style melodic phrasing in the style of Yngwie Malmsteen
- J.S Bach, Antonio Vivaldi, Nicolo Paganini, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker.
View lessons and subscribe here
If you like Kevin’s fingerboard art, you can order one here.